There is a saying that for
vegetarians much options are not available for their meals. But that is non-sensical.
It’s just that people don’t like to experiment or else they are too lazy for
it. But put in a little bit of interest and mouth watery, lip smacking dishes
will be at your table top! Here’s a simple but yummy recipe with mushrooms.
-200 gms button mushrooms
-2 Green chillies (cut in length)
-1 tbsp oil
-Fresh coriander leaves-to garnish
-1/2 tsp red chilli powder
-1/2 tsp curry powder
-1/2 tsp garam masala
-¼ tsp pepper powder
-1/4 tsp turmeric powder
-Salt- to taste
-3 medium onions (thinly sliced)
-2 tbsp oil
-1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
-1-2 tomatoes- cut into 8 piece each
- Slice onions and mushrooms separately.
- Heat the 2 tbsp oil and sauté onions until golden brown in
- Add ginger-garlic paste and tomatoes. Sauté well till the
raw smell disappears and the tomatoes turn pulpy.
- Cool and grind this into a smooth paste adding very little
water if needed. Keep aside.
- Heat the 1 tbsp oil mentioned formerly. Add the sliced
mushrooms and stir-fry till tender. Add green chilles, chilly powder,
turmeric, pepper powder, garam masala and salt in that order. Do not burn
the powders, just see to it they get heated up well and let not change
- Add the ground paste and mix well adding a little water.
Mushrooms let out water while cooking too.Simmer till mushrooms are cooked
and the gravy reaches the right consistency.
- Serve hot garnished with minced coriander leaves and fresh
cream if you prefer. Mushroom masala goes best with any variety of Indian
roti or Pulao.